Monday, February 23, 2009

"Barred Owl"

Oil on panel 14" x 11"

Back when my older sons were young, I chaperoned a field trip to Maymont. In the Nature Center, the students were introduced to a several species of birds and animals from the Central Virginia region. I took a number of photos, including a beautiful Barred Owl. I began this painting with a a fairly detailed pencil drawing on a panel with several layers of finely sanded gesso. I next did the background all around the figure by rubbing on thin layers of oil wash with an old t-shirt . I then switched to small sable watercolor brushes, continuing the watercolor technique with the oil paint on the owl. After finishing the head, I set the painting aside . . . for almost 20 years! Perhaps I'll go ahead and finish it. When I do, I'll post the final results.

5 comments:

John Barber Art said...

Hi Gary,

It's fun watching your evolution from Cartooning to Fine Art [ no disrespect to the fine art of Cartooning]! Looks like you're having a blast- and you're doing great at it!

Visit my blog at johnbarberart.blogspot.com . Take care and give my best to Janet and the boys!

John M. Barber

gbrookins said...

Thanks John-

I am having a great time with the painting, though the daily deadlines of cartooning come first.

I have your blog on my favorites list (it's actually right below mine). I like the short film of you in the plane over the wetlands(I was thinking of doing the same thing, but it would probably startle the chickens in the yard).

Gary

Unknown said...

Gary, I'm writing to you from Panama City. Look forward to meeting you at Books Alive this weekend. I'm the online editor for the News Herald, and part of the job recently has included sorting through old file photos and posting them. I ran across an undated pic of you probably from the mid- to late-1980s and added it to our gallery here: http://tinyurl.com/yaelwnc
Also blogged about it here: http://tinyurl.com/yaz3ysk
I really enjoy Pluggers. Those are my people.
Cheers,
Tony Simmons

Unknown said...

Gary, I apologize for not getting that photo to you; I meant to bring it Saturday, but left it on my desk at work and never was able to break away to go get it. If you'd like it, just email me with a PO box or other drop address so I can send it to you. My work is email is tsimmons@pcnh.com

Genevieve Netz said...

I enjoyed getting a look at your paintings-- they are excellent, and they contain the down-to-earth subject matter that I would expect from someone who is a Plugger. Thanks for all your work! My husband and I are big fans of Pluggers.